Sometimes a person is just so far outside the parameters of acceptable behavior, one cannot seriously think that the world is not better off without them. Sometimes a person has caused so much pain that the only possible response is humor. Although he backpedaled later in his life, Helms probably did more than anyone in American politics to cause the AIDS pandemic, just because of his erroneous belief that it was a “gay disease,” and that gay people deserved to die. He never repented of his outrageous racial and sexual bigotry. I honor his passing to the next stage of his being with this trailer made for the occasion of the 1999 Frameline Lesbian and Gay Film Festival. Hat tip to Eric Eldritch.
- “When children have married parents” | Equality Loudoun Archive, 2003-2013 on GOP FAIL
- So the people voted | Equality Loudoun Archive, 2003-2013 on 54/41
- The facts of life | Equality Loudoun Archive, 2003-2013 on CWA ladies caught in another lie
- Phillips campaign falsely attributes statement to Equality Loudoun | Equality Loudoun Archive, 2003-2013 on CWA ladies caught in another lie
- Sorry for your discomfort | Equality Loudoun Archive, 2003-2013 on CWA ladies caught in another lie
TagsAbuse Adoption Animus Anti-gay industry Bob Marshall Bullying Campaigns Civil rights Community Constitution Dick Black Discrimination Doing the right thing Drama policy Editorials Equality Virginia Eugene Delgaudio Faith Gay-Straight Alliance General Assembly Hall of Shame Hate crimes Hate groups HB 751 Heckler's veto Law LCPS Legislation Letters Marriage Marshall-Newman Amendment Media Montgomery County Moral confusion Pants on Fire Parenting Patrick Henry College Reality-based world Religious authoritarianism Schools Transphobia Viewpoint discrimination Virginia Youth “Affirmation of Marriage Act”
The late senator deserves a fitting memorial. See http://notionscapital.wordpress.com/2008/07/05/jesse-helms/
Yikes. It’s always those “In his own words” bits that get them in the end.